Tuesday, August 19, 2008

VTachs

It was a toxic shift I had last night. I was the only trainee on duty that time and a staff with me. We received 6 patients from the endorsement, 2 of which were intubated. During the endorsement, the patient from Bed 1 had a Ventricular Tachycardia showing in his cardiac monitor. Ventricular Tachycardia or VTach is life threatening. The patient became cyanotic just in seconds. Defibrillation is the common intervention given. It is usually done by the physician. The patient recovered.

As our shift progresses, that same patient went into VTach again for like 5 times in our shift. During the second time, I was left alone in the unit because the staff has to see the physician to refer another patient's case. The watcher of bed 1 yelled for help and seeing that I was alone, I hurriedly dialed the number of the Medicine Conference Room where the residents stay. Unfortunately, no one answered and I started to panic. I instructed the patient to breathe slowly and deeply while preparing the defibrillator machine, just plugged it since I didn't how to charge it yet. Haha. Anyways, after which, the staff arrived and I yelled for help and she quickly called for a resident on duty at the Medcon Room. Haay.

Aside from the VTach incident, we also had two patients intubated making our shift very toxic. Left the unit around quarter to 12 am, and supposedly I shouldn't leave yet since I have to help the staff do some after care of the equipments we used. But it was kind of her to ask me to leave since it was way too late already as I still have to commute back home. Haayy, I can't imagine working in that area where only one staff is on duty. *Sweat.

1 comment:

melstephens said...

Hi girl, I am melissa from entrecard. I am a filipina too stayed in north carolina USA. nice meeting you here.