Saturday, August 16, 2008

ABC...no I mean ABG

I had the opportunity to take an ABG from a comatose patient yesterday. I was eager to try since it has been months that I last took an ABG.

ABG stands for arterial blood gas. A blood is being extracted from the patient's artery so you'll find the nurse or physician looking for a pulse where they can draw the blood. Admittedly, I have a weak sense of touch, I think I do. The time I took the ABG, I had a clear feel of the patient's pulse. By the way, the artery isn't visible so you will be relying on the patient's pulse.

After doing so, I disinfect the area and injected the heparinized syringe onto the skin and unfortunately no backflow was seen. It only means I didn't hit the artery so I let the nurse on duty do the thing. *Sweat. More practice and I hope I'll succeed it the next time around.

1 comment:

Jemi said...

That would be really hard to do since you can't see the artery. You will get it one of these days.