Saturday, March 1, 2008

Things learned...

Due to the busy scenario in the nursery, I was left alone in the unit. The head nurse and a staff assisted the preterm baby for transport to the other hospital of their choice, while the other staff nurse and my co-trainee were in the delivery room to receive another baby.

So I was left with 5 babies and was tasked to call the Respiratory Therapist (RT) on duty to turn off the mechanical ventilator that was used by the preterm. Unfortunately, after paging the RT, someone called from the laboratory and informed me there was no RT on duty that night.

What I did was called the RT through her mobile and ask her to teach me how to turn the ventilator off. And so she did! Now even though I am not an RT at least I've learned how to turn that thing off! Hahaha.

One more thing, it's not only the mechanical ventilator, when our head nurse arrived, I told her I haven't turned off the incubator yet coz I didn't know how to. She laughed and told me that was the easiest equipment to handle. And she did teach me how to. Wee... For that time being I already learned how to turn off two equipments. Haha.

1 comment:

markpaul said...

interesting posts! i always love, health related blogs!