Wednesday, April 16, 2008

To Switch or Not to Switch...

Lately I've been thinking of getting my own domain.

But...

... there's a big BUT!

I don't know where to start or how to do it. What exactly do I need to consider in buying a domain? Is Blue Host okay? Stumbled upon it while browsing the net and it's kinda cheap for $6.95 for 24 months?! Is that for real?!

Also I just found out that the new version of blogger can now support the use of a custom domain for your blog, that is if you already have your own domain name. Is this a good idea? But where would I get my own domain name then?

Hmm...can someone enlighten me?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

from my research, standard prices for domains are in the $8-$10 range. top rated domain providers include godaddy and yahoo. try to look at yahoo small business. there are times they offer $2 domain promos and I first bought mine there. godaddy charges $9.99 plus a small icann fee but lowers it to $2 for other non-domain purchase. other hosting sites offer it for free for a hosting package. as for bluehost, i think it comes up regularly in the best hosting sites category.

Crissy said...

thanks sis! I'll go check those sites then! c",)

Vi Anne said...

cris, tell me how it goes if you do get your own domain name coz i've been in the longest time contemplating about registering a domain name. :)

Daniel said...

I think the hardest part is coming up with a good and catchy domain name that's a top tier extension like a .com or .net.

I kind of regret going with a .us extension but at least my domain name is short. :)

cherry said...

I've been thinking of the same thing. This blogging thing is so addicting. I want to take it to the next level. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

BTW, have a tag for you.

Crissy said...

been surfing the net and found this site... http://www.easywordpress.com/labs/self-hosted-wordpress-tutorial-part-1/ i'm thinking of following the tutorials given here. what dya think? c",)